Vegan Tikka Masala
4 garlic cloves, sliced plus 2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp tandoori masala
1″ ginger, grated
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 c plain yogurt. I used a plain coconut milk based yogurt.
(I wouldn’t suggest using Greek either)
1 c coconut milk
2 tsp sea salt
Pepper to taste
3 tbsp coconut butter or 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/4 c tomato paste
Red Pepper Flakes to taste
1/4 c cilantro or spinach
- In a medium pot heat up the butter, onion, chopped garlic, ginger, tomato paste and all spices stirring often until the onions become translucent and tomato paste darker. About 5 mins.
- Take the whole tomato, chop it into chunks and squeeze them over the pos with you hands then add them to the mixture.
- Add in yogurt and coconut milk, have it come to a boil then simmer. Stir frequently. It will start to thicken up in about 10 mins.
- You can put some cilantro or spinach into the masala or just use it for toppings
- I got my Garlic Naan Bread from WholesFoods Market and heated it up in the oven for a few minutes.
- Once bread is nice and toasty spread the Tikka Masala on top. Enjoy!
*Note to make this not spicy leave out red pepper flakes.