Vegan Whoopie Pies
I can’t even begin to tell you the excitement I have for these Vegan Whoopie Pies! First off, they’re not only vegan, they’re gluten freakin’ free too! Hip Hip Hooray! These are ridiculously easy and quick to make. I know I always maybe sort of say that, but it’s totally true! I have things to do just like you and I know for the most part we all can’t be baking 24/7. I mean we can eat baked goods 24/7 but then, well, you know where that leads.
The chocolate cookies are made up of 3 ingredients, brown rice flour, cacao powder (superfood), and maple syrup. Can you even deal? 3 ingredients to make cookies, say what!? I know.
These cookies have the texture of say a ginger snap cookie. They have a soft yet crispiness to them and they have a “snap” which I love. I called them whoopie pies because that’s what they look like to me. I’ve seen people call these Oreos too, in the vegan world, same thing.
For the filling I used my go to coconut whipped cream. As you know this cream is so versatile and used in almost everything vegan or plant based baking. It holds up well, plays as a great frosting, filling, you name it this baby can do it. Kind of like chickpeas, they can do it all.
If you’d like you can also use a cashew cream for the center, peanut butter, or even chocolate coconut whipped cream, really when you think about it, the possibilities are endless. I can always add in another filling to anything just to switch things up and make it more fun. Who doesn’t love fun. And the bestest part about these yummers is that your kids can actually make them with you or for you, however you choose to have at it.
Watch this quick tutorial on how to make these so you can see for yourself how utterly simple they are!
At first glance one would assume, pffft, no way these are healthy. I know looks can be deceiving, duh I’m a Mom, I know what’s up.
But when you read the ingredients, and are slightly dumbfounded by the looks and taste of these, it will have you second guessing yourself the next time you knock it before you try it type of thing. So give these a go, one batch makes 14 of these whoopies. Have yourself a grand ole time and enjoy your week! Oh and Moms rule. Peace✌🏻
Cookie recipe adapted from FeastingonFruit.
Vegan Whoopie Pies
- 1 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (plus two tablespoons if needed)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (plus two tablespoons if needed)
- coconut whipped cream for the filling
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all cookie ingredients to a bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Roll tablespoon size balls and place them on the baking pan. Cover with a piece of wax paper and flatten with the bottom of a cup or jar.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled completely fill each cookie with a dollop of coconut whip or any filling of your choice.
- Sandwich cookies together and Enjoy!
- Sub any flour for brown rice flour.
- Sub any liquid sweetener.
- Sub any filling for center.
- Stays well in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.