The Best Vegan Reuben Sandwich
Cheesy, melty, and loaded with all the goods as any Reuben should be, and using tempeh of course!
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce or braggs liquid aminos
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 loaf of Italian Bread, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut, (per sandwich)
- 4 tbsp thousand island dressing, (per sandwich)
- 2 slices vegan swiss cheese, (per sandwich)
- vegan butter, (for toasting the bread)
How to Marinate the Tempeh
Cut the tempeh in half lengthwise and then cut it through the middle to make the slices thin.
In a large bowl whisk all the ingredients for the tempeh marinade then add in the thin tempeh slices. Either do this step the night before you're going to make this or let it sit for 30 minutes prior to making.
Putting the Reuben Together
Once the tempeh has marinated for the allotted amount of time heat up two tbsp of avocado oil to a large skillet and let the tempeh slices cook on each side for 5 minutes. Do not throw away the marinade. Add the rest of the marinade to the skillet and let it cook off. Keep the heat to low/medium.
In a separate fry pan add 1 tbsp vegan butter and let it get melty. Slice one of the pieces of Italian bread lengthwise but not all the way through. Open side up, coat the bread in the butter in the fry pan and let it get lightly browned.
On the side facing up, add the thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, vegan cheese, and 1-2 slices of tempeh. Remove from pan once cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through. Press down with spatula too.
Repeat the steps above for all sandwiches. Serve right away with a side salad, pickles or fries and Enjoy!
- To get the cheese super melty instead of adding it to the sandwich, remove the sandwich with all the other fixings except the cheese. Spray a fry pan with coconut oil spray or non stick cooking spray. Put the flame on medium heat. Add a slice or two of cheese or you can do a handful of cheese shreds (both will work for this) and watch it melt. I'm talking super stretchy, ooey, gooey type melting. Once you see it melt through, it slides right off and you can put it directly on your sandwich.
- Can sub vegan Thousand Island dressing for Russian Dressing.
- Tempeh marinade adapted from Mydarlingvegan.