Salted Caramel Walnut Ice Cream
So I bought an ice cream maker and this is what I made with it…
Salted Caramel Walnut Ice Cream. Smooth, salty, creamy and wait for it…Vegan! Hooray (and the crowd goes wild). When summer is literally at your doorstep all things cool come to mind. It IS the season for all things ice cream.
While scrolling through good ole Pinterest I came across this Vegan Salted Caramel Ice Cream recipe by Cheryl of 40Aprons. I was all like “O my G I can totes make my own ice cream!” So I started soaking my nuts, lol (and lol again) getting all ready to give this recipe a whirl. At first glance I thought ok this will be difficult but it ended up being a literal breeze to make. I was all like Phew, head swipe. It is a timely recipe but requires minimal work. Most of the work is for the soaking, cooling and freezing. Picture me in my kitchen tapping my foot staring at the freezer like Come on!!! Ok now I’m just getting slightly ridiculous right?!
I’m just going to bottom line this one for ya, it is one of the best ice creams I’ve ever had. And I’m not just saying that for shnitz and giggles. I’m being for realz. You guys know I love my sweets and I don’t mess around when it comes to my snacking. Now the only thing is I did use some sugar as the recipe called for but there are SO many other options which I cannot wait to explore. For the caramel next time I will sub my date paste. I was going to use it this time but wanted to make the recipe exact being it was my first go and all. But you know when it comes to vegan baking, non baking and now making ice cream, dates are a go to as a sweetener and to make anything “caramel”. Gotta love dates and they’re super good for you. Like totally.
The only thing I did differently from the original recipe was add walnuts. I like a little crunch in my ice cream. Raise the roof if you’re with me on that! But hey, if you’re not a crunch type of person, no worries! Go without it, no biggie.
I-C-E Scream, You Scream we all Scream for Ice Cream! Yaaay! hahaha hashtag dork status.
- Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water, divided
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 2-4 hours
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut butter or any vegan butter
- 2 tsp pink rock salt
- Ice Cream
- 1 14ounce can of full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup cashews soaked 2-4 hours or longer
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups caramel sauce, divided
- 1 cup walnuts
- First start off by making the caramel sauce and to do that we have to start with the cream. Blend 1/2 cup almond milk, 2 tbsp water and 1 cup cashews and run until completely smooth. The original recipe said you could press it through a nut milk bag for smoothest texture but I skipped that step and it was still very smooth.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat combine 1/2 cup water and 1 1/2 cup sugar. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves. Increase heat slightly and bring to a boil without stirring until it turns golden about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in coconut butter or any vegan butter of choice. It will melt right away. Once that is melted, pour in the cream you just made. Stir over low heat until smooth and add salt.
- This makes 2 cups. Set aside while you make the Ice Cream.
- In a blender put in coconut milk, 1 cup cashews, coconut oil, 1 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce and blend until very very smooth. Place in air tight container and put in the fridge until completely cold.
- Put remaining 1/2 cup of caramel sauce in a mason jar and store in the fridge till ready to use.
- Once mixture is cold churn according to ice cream maker instructions.
- I churned mine for 30 minutes adding in the walnuts for the last 5 minutes.
- Once churned gently pour in remaining caramel sauce. Place in freezer to set 2-3 hours or overnight.