Stuffed Tortilla Cheesecake French Toastjump to recipe
Just imagine yourself waking up in the morning to this…Stuffed Tortilla Cheesecake French Toast! (everyone gasps*) Stuffed with dark chocolate, strawberries, bananas, and vegan cream cheese, you know it’s going to be good. And I mean real good.
I call it cheesecake because that’s exactly what it tastes like…cheesecake. You can make them and eat them straight away, or you can store them in the fridge and when ready to eat, it’s legit like a cheesecake stuffed pastry without all the rolling, pinning, and kneading the dough. Who knew tortillas could be even more versatile. I know you can feel my excitement through this post. I made 6 and they were gone in seconds. Ok maybe like 2 minutes but still, that’s pretty quick.☺️
They look super fancy I know. And totally not healthy but never judge a book by it’s cover, know what I mean. I didn’t even use a whole bar of dark chocolate, I literally used less than half and sprinkled it in the middle. When it gets hot and melty, it oozes out in perfect proportion. The only thing that would be on the not so healthy side is the vegan cream cheese. However, you’re not using the whole tub, tablespoon at best. If you want to add more than it’s all good. We can all indulge and splurge once in a while. Just make sure your vegan cream-cheese is non gmo. Plus the cream cheese is what gives this beaut it’s cheesecake ways. 😍
This is how easy it is. You spread your cream cheese mixture (recipe below, super easy) all over your tortilla. And yes that’s a small dessert spoon I used.
You then fill the middle with sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, and some crumbled dark chocolate, see, teeny tiny. Then you roll it up tightly as seen below.👇🏻
At this point you’ll have your vegan “egg wash” mixture ready which is flaxseeds and water. This recipe calls for 2 “eggs” so I made two flax eggs. 1 tbsp of flaxseeds to 3 tbsp of water equals one egg so for this you’ll use 2 tbsp of flaxseeds to 6 tbsp of water. Easy.
In a large skillet or fry pan add in some vegan butter. I love using this one. It tastes just like “regular” whipped butter to me. Place the entire stuffed tortilla with the vegan egg washed in the pan. Let cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes each or until golden brown. Do this on medium heat so they don’t burn.
You can make two at a time in a standard size fry pan or skillet. Once they’re finished, remove from pan/skillet and place on a cutting board or plate. Cut them in half and sprinkle some coconut sugar or brown sugar on top. I know what you’re thinking…that’s it!? And I’m telling you YAASSS! Like I said, they look super fancy and they have the right to be, I mean they are glorious, but they are So. Simple. To. Make. And. Healthy.
I don’t think I have to twist your arm to make this. It’s good for you, COMPLETELY kid friendly and approved. It’s one healthy cheesecake just wrapped up in a tortilla prepared like french toast. You can have the best of both worlds. You can have dessert for breakfast and eat it too! Cheesecake anyone? Yes please!🙋🏼
How do you like to brunch? Drop me a line below if you make these and let me know if you used any of the subs I suggested or if you did some on your own!! Xx
Recipe adapted from NaiveCookCooks.com
Stuffed Tortilla Cheesecake French Toast
- 6 tortillas ( I used standard size 8")
- 6 ounces vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseeds to 6 tbsp of water)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 6 large strawberries, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1/2 bar vegan dark chocolate or 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Whipped vegan butter for cooking
- coconut sugar to sprinkle
- To make the cheesecake filling, in a large bowl add in vegan cream cheese, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Whip it together until all combined. You can use a spoon or a hand mixer.
- Spread 1 tbsp (or more) of the cream cheese filling on top of your tortilla. In the middle of the tortilla spread banana and strawberry slices, and top with some dark chocolate pieces or chips.
- Roll tightly starting from your side and go all the way until it seals closed. The cream cheese will keep them tightly together.
- Get some butter melting in the fry pan or skillet you're going to use. Mix in 1/4 cup of almond milk with the flax eggs. Roll each stuffed tortilla in the "egg wash" then place them in the fry pan. You can cook up to two at a time.
- On medium heat, cook on each side 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place your stuffed tortilla cheesecake french toasts on a plate and sprinkle them with coconut sugar.
- Top with extra cream cheese filling, maple syrup, strawberries, or dark chocolate. Enjoy!
- You can prepare the tortillas before hand, wrap them in plastic wrap individually and keep them in the fridge until ready to make. You can prep the the night before to have them ready for breakfast. Keep them wrapped individually before cooking so they don't get stuck together.
- You can also sub vegan cream cheese with coconut whip cream.
- Sub almond milk for coconut milk or any milk of choice.
- Store cooked tortilla french toasts in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. This will give them that flakey, pastry like texture. Once cooked they don't have to be individually wrapped as they won't stick together.