Detox Cauliflower Soup
My entire household has/had the flu, except me, thankfully. I was sick in the very beginning of the month so I’m hoping it skips me this time even though both my boys sneeze, cough, and everything else right in my mouth and eyeballs. It’s almost like inevitable getting sick around here. Still, I’m hoping for the best.
I give this soup to my husband and he attributes his wellbeing to it. He feels if he doesn’t have it he would be sick longer. It’s filled with all the goodness your body needs when combating a virus. You have onions, garlic, cauliflower, parsley, broth, water, lemon, and mushrooms. It’s like a kick in the ass to any cold or flu so these viruses need to watch their backs.
A lot of people ask me all the time how I or my family gets sick if we’re “healthy”. I find that to be such an odd question honestly. Healthy people get sick. They/We may not get sick as long as someone who has say a compromised immune system or just generally doesn’t watch out for their health by not eating the right foods, exercising, etc, but everyone gets sick at some point or another. And especially if you have kids in school. You’d hope other parents would leave their kids home when they’re sick but sadly most parents will send their children to school on a fever reducing meds and hope for the best. It’s one of the most frustrating things to deal with when you have kids in school.
I keep my son home any time he’s sick. I can’t imagine sending him in with a fever because I know myself how it sucks to have a fever and how I feel so blah when I do. Don’t get me wrong, I get some parents have work or what not but a lot of them have nannies or the moms do stay at home so there’s really no excuse to send sick kids to school so someone could have a day off (from adulting). School isn’t a daycare people!
There’s only so much we could do to ward off colds, viruses and things like that. We wash our hands, take our vitamins, drink elderberry and tea with turmeric and ginger, lemon water, you name it. We even do shots of Fire Cider. But sometimes, like I said it’s just inevitable so making the right foods like this Detox Cauliflower Soup, that’s so easy by the way, come in handy.
To start, I steam two heads of cauliflower. You can also steam two 16oz bags of frozen cauliflower. Then, to make life totally easy on you, you just add everything to the blender except half of the onion and the mushrooms. Those two you leave out to water sauté.
Water sautéing is super easy. You just add a few tablespoons of water to the pan with the onions and mushrooms, and sprinkle it with pink himalayan sea salt. The water is replacing oil. But you can also use something like coconut oil or avocado oil too if you prefer. All of the instructions for this will be in the recipe card below. Totes easy.
In this recipe I add in a quarter to a half of a raw onion and two garlic cloves and it has a major kick to it. If you can handle a little spice then it’s all good but for my son it was a bit much so instead for him, I water sauté the onions and garlic first then add them in so it won’t be spicy at all. But for adults who can handle the heat, definitely do it with the raw onion and garlic.
It’s called detox soup because it’s meant to clean you out. Onions are known for detoxification. You can read all about onions and how they fight off colds and flus here, and garlic is massive when it comes to health benefits as well. It’s anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and known for boosting the immune system. You gain the benefits to garlic both cooked and raw so don’t fret if you’re roasting them a bit. The first time I ever tried garlic medicinally I nearly burned my tongue off, lol. #truestory
With those two powerful foods you also have lemon, another detoxifier and amazing for everything. Then on top of that you have mushrooms and parsley! It’s like whoa, so much amazing, healing goodness all in one bowl and made in minutes…minutes people!
Make a pot of this soup if you want to keep sickness at bay or shed a few pounds. It’s low carb, packed with delicious veggies, herbs and spices and perfect for those chilly winter mornings.
Also check out my Immune Boosting Homemade Vegetable Broth that also fights against colds and flus by building up your immune system with it’s anti-inflammatory properties.
Keeping healthy no matter what the season is optimal.
Detox Cauliflower Soup
- 2 heads of cualiflower or two 16oz bags of frozen cauliflower, steamed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion cut in half and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- the juice of one lemon or 3 tbsp
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced, (I use white button)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, divided (some with get blended and the rest is to top)
- salt/pepper, to taste
- Steam cauliflower for 12 minutes until tender.
- While cauliflower is steaming water sauté the half of the onion (sliced) and all of the mushrooms until both are browned and tender. Keep adding water as needed when you see the onions and mushrooms sticking to the pan.
- When cauliflower is done place it in a blender and add in vegetable broth, avocado oil, water, 2 garlic cloves, lemon juice, 1 tbsp of fresh parsley, salt/pepper to taste and depending on how spicy you want it, either a quarter of a raw onion or half.
- Blend until smooth and creamy and add salt and pepper as needed. It will be hot because of the steamed cauliflower however if it does get cool you can place the whole thing into a pot and heat it up for a few minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with sautéed onions and mushrooms, and a handful of fresh parsley. Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper.
- Serve right away and Enjoy!
- If you don't want it spicy at all sauté the entire onion with the 2 garlic cloves and add half of the cooked onion with garlic to the blender with the rest of the ingredients. If you're cooking the whole onion go ahead and half half of it to the blender but if not just add a quarter of the raw onion to the blender.
- Store any leftovers in air tight containers and will last up to 4 or 5 days in the fridge.
- I have not tried freezing this recipe.
~Pin This Recipe~