Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
Last week you guys know all my dudes here had the flu. All of them except me, praise the Lord. I don’t know how I didn’t get it with having the kids sleep on top of my face but still, I’m super grateful. For the entire duration of their flu I made foods to help keep their immune systems strong to fight off the viral infection.
Sweet potatoes are super high in beta-carotene like carrots and that helps improve the body’s defenses. I made things like this Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl and then I made a giant, extra large, pot of soup for the week so they had broth to drink each day with everything else I made. My boys also loved the Detox Cauliflower Soup which has even more immune boosting properties. All the goodness your body needs whens sick.
The Sweet Benefits
Sweet potatoes and other orange colored foods like squash, pumpkin, carrots, cantaloupe, mangoes, papayas, oranges, and apricots are all super powerful. They are top pick in the growth and development of immune system cells and help neutralize harmful toxins. This in combination with things like roasted garlic, ginger, turmeric, vitamin C will help you beat colds and flus quicker so you won’t have to suffer too long. But it has to be consistent. You have to eat these foods continuously even after you’re sick for prevention.
I love topping my Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl with things like fresh blueberries, coconut yogurt, almond butter or cashew butter, and a sprinkle of granola (optional). You can have it warm or cold but either way you won’t be disappointed or starving afterwards. It’s a very filling breakfast or snack.
I like to make my sweet potatoes ahead of time, like on Sunday night. I’ll leave some sweet potatoes whole and others I’ll blend up like this and keep them in meal prep containers. You can easily heat up the potatoes for 5 minutes on the stovetop before serving if you need something for a super chilly, cold winter morning. I like to eat my warm mostly but if you’re on the go and need to get out of the house, cold or room temp is still super fine.
Sweet potatoes are so versatile almost like chickpeas because you can do so much with them from things like this breakfast bowl to dinners like Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese or desserts like Sweet Potato Layer Cake . Oh and how could I forget fries and toast! Side note: sweet potato toast is bomb!
Packed with fiber, healthy fats and is so easy to make, perfect start to the day!
Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- 2 small or 1 medium sweet potato , (previously baked)
- 2 tbsp almond or cashew butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk, (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries per bowl
- extra cinnamon to sprinkle
- 1 tbsp almond or cashew butter to drizzle
- 1/4 cup granola, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cook sweet potatoes for an hour or until tender. I like to make my sweet potatoes on Sunday so I'm set for the week.
- Combine all ingredients for the breakfast bowl in a blender and run until smooth but not smoothie consistency. You can even mash the sweet potatoes with a fork if you don't wish to blend and mix all ingredients well.
- Top with all desired toppings, serve and enjoy!
- Cook time does not reflect the hour the sweet potatoes need to cook.
- Any plant based milk will work.
- Can use any toppings preferred.
- Store in air tight containers.
- Can be reheated and served warm also great for meal prep as it will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
~Pin This Recipe~