Sweet Potatoes are the New Toast (5 Ways)!jump to recipe
Sweet Potatoes are the New Toast (5 Ways)!
Friends!!! I’ve miss you and I’m totes sure you absolutely missed me! I’m back after an almost two week hiatus. I’ve had such a busy start to 2017 with tons going on, I needed to take a minute to myself and spend some QT (quality time) with my family. I just felt I needed a little more disconnect from the online world, and more connect in real life. I think everyone needs to unplug once in a while to regroup, gather and collect your thoughts. I feel when I do this – turn inward, I have more clarity, I get inspired, and my creativity flows more organically. Sometimes if I’m feeling too rushed, things start to get hectic and scattered then I know that’s my que to take a minute. Plus I have sooo many exciting things for you guys coming very very soon and I just know you’re going to be as happy and giddy as I am. 🙃
Now that I gave you the low down on me and of what’s to come can we talk about this Sweet Potato Toast that’s been all the rage across social media!? I did this 5 ways to show you that when it comes to Sweet Potato Toast, the possibilities are basically endless. You can go sweet, you can go savory, it’s all up to you and your tastebuds.
When I first stumbled upon this toast I was so confused. Like how the heck do you make toast out of sweet potatoes. I initially thought you had to cook the sweet potato first in the oven to get it soft. I thought “That will take forever just to have some toast”. But I soon learned that it wasn’t going in the oven but the actual toaster! Yes, can you flippin’ believe it…the toaster. I was like huh, whaaa…hmmm?!?!
It’s literally as simple as cleaning your sweet potato, cutting it lengthwise about 1/4″ thick, placing your toaster on the highest setting, and letting the slices toast until the inside is soft, which for me takes 2 turns to do. Also if you have fairly large slices, you may have to put one side in first then do the other side. However, if you have a toaster oven, or just want to use your broiler at the bottom of your oven you can do that too. My slices fit perfect in my toaster, so I just pop it in and leave it in like I said, two times.
This is what they look like before they get toasted. For this recipe I used 2 medium sweet potatoes. I topped them with almond butter, peanut butter, blueberries, pomegranates, chocolate chips, bananas, kiwi, plums, and coconut. As I mentioned before though you can use anything. Think marshmallows, maple syrup, avocado, even steamed kale and mustard. (See how I incorporate kale and mustard in this recipe)
It’s quite obvious I have a sweet tooth. But hey at least it’s become a responsible sweet tooth right!?
And if you’re thinking that these variations sound odd like sweet potato and kiwi, think again! I promise you there is no wrong way to top it. My husband made himself a peanut butter and jelly with shredded dark chocolate and it was bomb delicious. My personal fave is the plum and poms, then a very close second of peanut butter, bananas, and chocolate chips. But really I love them all. And forget it, my son is all about this. I let him decorate his toast however he wants and usually he likes vegan marshmallows and maple but he’ll do a blueberry and almond butter too. He almost makes his like a sweet potato s’mores. So. Freakin’. Yum.
Well my sweets it’s good to be back and I can’t wait to unload more surprises and healthy delicious recipes on ya. But I don’t want to keep you too long now because I know you’ve got some toasting to do. Sweet Potatoes up…Enjoy!
Sweet Potatoes are the New Toast 5 Ways
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut lengthwise in 1/4" slices
- 1 tbsp almond butter, handful of blueberries, handful of pomegranates
- handful of shredded coconut
- 1 kiwi, sliced
- 1 plum, sliced and handful of pomegranates
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 banana, and handful of dairy free chocolate chips
- Wash and cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise about 1/4" thick.
- Put toaster on highest setting and toast sweet potato slices until soft on the inside and brown on the outside. It will resemble a roasted marshmallow in texture. Repeat this step until sweet potato toasts are cooked through about 2 to 3 times in the toaster.
- While your slices are being toasted prepare all the toppings you wish you use. There really is no exact measurement for any of them so I gave you round about what I used. You can use more or less of any topping desired.
- Once Sweet Potato Toast is done top with all the fixings, serve immediate and Enjoy!
- Don't be shy to add your own toppings or variations of this. There is no wrong way to top!